Saturday, October 6, 2012

5 of 31: La Tour Cafe: Mac and Cheese Showdown

About a year ago, I tried the Feta Mac and cheese at Pacific Soul (Chef Sean Priester) and fell in love. It was different. Certainly not Kraft from the box or school lunch quality. It was 'uppity." That made me wonder. Are there better Mac and Cheese dishes in Hawaii than I am used to? I am happy to say yes.

In the midst of gaining weight, losing weight, working out, and having surgery I have tried a few mac and cheese dishes here on island. I will review each and every one of the the "finalists" and then spit out a showdown result.  All dishes selected for the showdown were tasted between October 3 and October 17 of this year and will be judged on criteria to be mentioned later.  For now, Lets introduce the first challenger.


HoNolulu, Hi 96817
(808) 697-5000



La Tour is "Ba Le".  Those of us familiar with the local restaurant chain know that Ba Le is a bakery and french Viet Sammy chain. Recently, they began rebranding as "La Tour Bakehouse."  A bold move and natural progression towards the "foodie" movement (or as I like to call them, food enthusiasts) ongoing in town. I am sure the Ba Le name will live on in franchises, but the main bakery is now La Tour.

The menu is fairly quaint. Items like Flatbread Pizza, Quiche Lorraine, Pomme Frites (yes, french fries), Panini  and fresh baked breads and Macarons can be found in a roomy, comfortable modern cafe setting.





Now, Bring on the cheese! As I said before, I will further break down and review the mac and cheese based on criteria. But for now, here is a few pictures.

Its cheesy. All around goodness

 Let it cool a bit. This is what you get. Oh yeah! we have come a long way from Kraft

Reciept included. Price as noted. $4.50. Excellent Mac and Cheese value. When we hit the "truffle mac" variants later in the challenge, you will understand!

Here is a pic of a Pastele sausage from another visit.


La tour is much more than just a mac and cheese hangout. I focused on the challenge this trip (and ordered some chicken tenders for protein. Didn't touch the frites. I will note, that if it wasn't for the lack of WiFi, this would be a must hangout to write my blog or any other computer work. Wide open tables. TV with sports playing all the time. Excellent Dessert option. Coffee at least as good as the average coffee shop. (They feature Honolulu Coffee Company).  



open
Sunday-Thursday
10:00 am  / 9:00 pm
Friday-Saturday
10:00 am  / 10:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment