Saturday, October 6, 2012

6 of 31: Kanpai

Its friday night. I wanted to go out. So I got together a couple of friends and we wanted to go to Cafe Duck Butt. I have never been, but have heard its fantastico. Alas all I got to see was the free valet and the sign...






 They were really busy! Some other day, duck butt...some other day.



As we tried to find a backup plan, Home bar was an option, meh. We ended up at Kanpai around the corner and found a table right away. Score!




Kanpai is a sports bar on Ward, across from Sports authority and Ross. Its a true blue sports bar, complete with good looking women in tight shirts and short shorts. Yeah. I said it. Deal.  I will spare you the gal shots. Anyway, its nothing super amazing. Service inside is decent. Outside seating on busy nights could have slower turnaround on drinks.

the food menu itself has shrunk. It was much better this time last year with more selection. As one of my friends coined it, "it looks like they simplified the menu to 'turn and burn'". I must say, coming from him, thats not a complement. However of the FOOD items we ordered, only the pork lumpia truly disappointed.

Chilled tofu with a ginger sauce
Korean style hot wings

The lumpia. all veggie and wrapper, no pork. Oil not hot enough, greasy.
Fried Chicken Gizzards

The beer wasn't as cold as it could have been, and the bartender (okay maybe it was the waitress, but between two of them there is blame to be had) seriously needs to figure out how to properly serve drinks. Kanpai has a decent liquor collection, as any bar should. However something went wrong. I wish I had a picture of it. But I will just simply it.

Note...Kanpai. when someone orders Grand Mariner in a Snifter Glass. This is how it should look.


NOT LIKE THIS
This, more than anything irritated my friends. In all fairness, the industrial fans used to cool the joint because of the broken AC was loud, but when the waitress leans over and asks 3 times how you want it served, and I could hear him say "snifter" every time more than 3 times the distance than she was to him, well lets say there is a breakdown in communication!



No comments:

Post a Comment